It’s not unusual for babies to cry, scream and get fussy throughout the day.
But when Scott Walker’s baby girl was in a fit while they had a family lunch, she started to overheat.
Walker describes on Facebook that his wife, Jess, took off her socks to help cool her down, but what they saw put them in utter shock.
A strand of hair had wrapped around one of her toes, cutting through her skin and constricted her normal blood flow. His wife, Jess, was able to quickly remove it with a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass.
What happened to little Molly is known as hair tourniquet syndrome, which mostly occurs in babies younger than 4 months, commonly found around a finger or toe.
According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, HT syndrome is rare, but can be dangerous if left untreated. Doctors especially warn new parents that if they’re losing hair at a rapid rate, they should regularly check to ensure no hairs are accidentally entangling their babies’ fingers or toes.
Common symptoms include:
- Excessive crying that can’t be soothed
- Redness and swelling around the infected area
( Credits: Liftbump )
In severe cases, it can even lead to infection or necrosis, better known as dead tissue and dead cells.
Doctors say HT syndrome can be prevented if you regularly change your babies’ clothes and pay attention to their hands and feet when giving them a bath.
If you notice any of the symptoms mentioned above, contact your doctor immediately.